Monday, November 14, 2016

Roan Mt TN – Hughes Gap

Seems like I'm saying it more and more, but the views we are seeing are really incredible. Yes, there is a mystery to many since the forest fire smoke from the southern AT is hazing it up. Still, really nice. This section was one of our best!  Over 21 miles and it went really fast!

It started with a 2,000’ climb to get back to altitude. After that, bald after bald. People enjoying the nice Sunday high on the mountain. Half way through I had the ultra-strange sensation of having been there before. I was enjoying it so much that I didn't piece it together until Hummingbird pointed at the Jane Bald sign and reminded me that I had. I looked down across the trail to the next Bald and it literally smacked me in the head. We were traveling in the opposite direction of a short hike I had taken in May on this same track. It was like looking at the picture of the witch or the pretty woman. Which do you see? When you see the other, completely changes your perspective.

A great hike also culminated with my son Dexter and his girl friend Kelli showing up at mile 21 with some fantastic trail magic (beer, coffee, water, subs, beer)! We had a mini-tail gate right there at Hughes Gap before they drove back into the night and we walked back into the light of the fullest moon of our lives! We camped this night without our rainfly and watched as the deer walked around us. Perfect day, perfect night!  Happy Birthday to Dexter!

No comments:

Post a Comment